Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Alpacamundo's Big Thompson

Today, our cria watch came to an end.


For the second time, we were home and completely missed the birth.

I had just finished a conference call and got up to look out at the girls corral and saw a small, very dark alpaca walking around.

I yelled to Hubba that we had a cria and that I thought it was black.

He and the dog went out to the corral, while I told my coworkers I would not make the next conference call.  I changed into grubby clothes, grabbed the camera and a couple of towels to join them outside.

The cria was up, dry, walking around and interested in nursing.  We made sure the milk was coming out, dipped the umbilical cord in betadyne and weighed the cria, then searched for body parts to find out we had a boy.

Alpacamundo's Big Thompson is the son of Enchanted Sky's Kocoa Moon and BRCR's Peruvian Ricochet.  Which makes him part of both the Augusto and Caligula lines.

We have big plans for Big Thompson.

3 comments:

richardbrandt said...

Love the name! Alpacamundo's Big Thompson. Congrats!

WonderWhyGal said...

Congrats! He's gorgeous! Our Sprite hasn't let us see either of her births here on the farm even though we are home so...you're not the only one.

Unknown said...

Congratulations! He's so beautiful!