Friday, March 12, 2010

Fiber Arts Friday - Aaarrrrgggghh

I realized this week that I have made a big mistake on my Twitter Knit Along Shawl.  Actually I've made a lot of mistakes on this shawl, but I just realized I have made a big mistake.... over and over again.

Last week I mentioned that I was not happy with how the shawl was turning out.  Mostly this was because the edge didn't seem right, but the lace pattern didn't seem right either.  I assumed it would be resolved with blocking.  I don't actually know since this is my first time with lace and I've never blocked anything before.  So that will be a new adventure.


Anyway while I was contemplating the shawl this week, I picked up the pattern and saw these instructions:

The lace charts should be worked as follows:
RS: k2, yo [work chart to last m], yo, k2.
WS: k2, yo [work chart to last m], yo, k2.

Prior to starting the lace section, the instructions say to remove the center markers.  Unfortunately I read it as remove all of the markers and then missed the instructions above.  Which means I did nearly two repeats of lace chart A end-to-end.  No yarn over and no knit two.  Argh!

The silver lining?  A few knit-along-ers had metioned adding a life line before they started the lace charts.  Fortunately, I listened and added my own life line of dental floss.  As a result, it was very easy to rip out and put the shawl back on the needles.

So now I am ready to start lace chart A one more time.  Isn't learning fun.  ;-)

Enjoy more (hopefully successful) fibery posts over at the Wisdom Begins in Wonder Blog today.

5 comments:

Bec said...

Yayyy for the life line! Keep up the good work. Lace knitting sure keeps the mind sharp and knitting interesting. A bonus is the appreciation for blocking. Can't wait to see you finished project.

Lindy and Paul said...

Isn't it strange how knitting directions can CHANGE each time you read them? Weird! Glad you got it figured out and had a lifeline.

Kathryn Ray said...

Absolutely. I read those instructions over and over,and swear they said to remove all of the markers. :-)

WonderWhyGal said...

Life Line...I just learned about that and I am glad you did too. It's amazing the tricks and tips we learn as we knit.

Can't wait to see the finished project and when it's done, it's done. Don't worry about everyone else finishing before you...good things come to those with patience or something like that.

Thanks for sharing with Fiber Arts Friday.

Allison said...

My first lace project involved alot of ripping! I'm glad you are determined to finish it. I'm sure it will turn out fine in the end.