Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Vacation

Yesterday was my first day back "in the office" after a 2.5 week vacation.

I spent most of the day triaging emails and completing an online training course.

As I was thinking about it, I realized that this was only the second time in my entire career that I was able to take more than 2 days off in a row from a day job.

The first time I tried, was a trip to India in 2008.  I brought my work computer because they were concerned about me being gone for two weeks.  I logged in while I was gone.  Remote work was nascent, so it was a challenge and hung over my entire trip.

Then I tried to take one week off in 2013.  It was a family trip to Mexico over the new year that was planned well in advance, and I ended up having to work every day... and got the flu.

Then Ramen and I took one week off to attend the Westminster Kennel Club Show in June of last year (2021).  I was a consultant at the time,  so I told them that I was not bringing my computer and would not be checking email.  This was the first time I had a true vacation from work.  Prior to this, even if the company had a shut down, I had to work.

And now for the second time ever, the last 2.5 weeks... Wilma and I went to the AKC National Championship.  I did not bring my work computer.  The internet wasn't working in the hotels anyway... and I truly had a vacation.  I'll post more about this trip later.  :-)

Happy almost New Year!

No comments: