Friday, August 7, 2020

Fiber Arts Friday: Shave "Em to Save 'Em, CVM - post 7/31

CVM - I found this CVM (California Variegated Mutant) at the Estes Park Wool Market last year, from Aniroonz Sheep Company based in Ft Collins, CO.  I love the soft grey color and soft handle.


I really enjoyed the shepherd and her shop help.  They had several of the SE2SE breeds, and I bought more Karakul, mostly because she loved them so much.  :-)

You don't know that I'm going out of order.... but, this was next on my list after the Santa Cruz was paused and the decision to process the Shetland further...


I forgot to weigh the roving prior to starting, so I split the sample in two based on an estimate, which turned out reasonably close for plying.


CVM is the colored version of Romeldale.  Both are American breeds.  The Romeldale is a result of dedicated breeding program involving Romney and Rambouillet.  The goal was a white wooled sheep.  But when Glen Eidman found a small flock of colored Romeldales, he decided to focus on developing this variation.  The name CVM (California Variegated Mutant) sounds like a scientist made it up, rather than an artist or marketing person named the breed.  lol.

I loved spinning this sample.  The preparation was well done and the fiber, itself, was just lovely.


I think this breed would be wonderful to use in garments where one might choose Merino or BFL.  It's delightfully, next-to-skin soft.

As always, it feels good knowing that I am able to support a local conservation breeder of rare breed livestock.  :-)

The Livestock Concervancy lists the CVM/Romeldale as Threatened, meaning that fewer than 1000 sheep are registered in the US each year and that the estimated global population is less than 5000.

Final Yarn: CVM
Single Duration: April 25 - June 11, 2020
Ply Duration: June 11 - June 16, 2020
ounces: 4.5

yards: 344, 2-ply
wpi:  16

Ready to Submit:  June 24, 2020

SE2SE Status:
Total Breeds: 22
Breeds Sourced: 16
Breeds Spun: 9
Breeds To Go: 16

Months Remaining: 17 (12/31/21)

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

No comments: