Friday, August 21, 2020

Fiber Arts Friday: Shave 'Em to Save 'Em, Leicester Longwool

Breed - Leicester Longwool


This was my first breed for the 2020 Tour de Fleece and my 11th SE2SE breed.

The staple is about 5 1/2 inches in a nicely prepared roving.





Thanks to the Tour de Fleece, not travelling, and being laid off due to COVID-19, I was able to spend more time than normal spinning, and therefore made some great progress on my Shave 'Em to Save 'Em project.


Before a bath...


The Leicester skein ties came loose during washing.... it's surprising how slippery this longwool is.  I retied the skein using feedbag twine.  I need to remember so I either change it or don't enter this skein into any competitions.


The Livestock Concervancy states that the Leicester Longwool was developed in the mid-1700's in England by Robert Bakewell and were in the Americas by the early 1800's.  The Leicester Longwool is listed as Threatened, meaning that fewer than 1000 sheep are registered in the US each year and that the estimated global population is less than 5000.

I greatly enjoyed spinning this breed and love the luster of the Leicester.  :-)

This breed roving was sourced from The Ross Farm in Pennsylvania.

Final Yarn: Leicester Longwool
Single Duration: June 27 - June 30, 2020
Ply Duration: July 1 - July 2, 2020
ounces: 4.25
yards: 144, 2-ply
wpi:  14

Ready to Submit:  July 4, 2020

SE2SE Status:
Total Breeds: 22
Breeds Sourced: 16
Breeds Spun: 11
Breeds To Go: 11

Months Remaining: 16 (12/31/21)

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

No comments: