Sunday, March 29, 2020

Garden 2020, part 1

Since I was grounded about 3 weeks ago,
  • All of the extroverting activities I had scheduled thru April have either been cancelled or postponed,
  • the San Francisco Bay Area (where my day job is located) issued a mandatory Shelter-in-Place order for 3 weeks effective 3/17,
  • the State of California issued a mandatory Shelter-in-Place order for an unspecified period of time on 3/19/20.  Although the rumors are for 8-12 weeks, which would put it in the May/June time frame, and 
  • both the State of Colorado and my county of residence have also issued mandatory Stay-in-Residence orders, with the latest extending to 4/17.
So it is pretty clear that many of us will be in a work-from-home situation for longer than a few weeks.

With St. Patrick's Day passing a couple of weeks ago, it is now our unofficial time to start planting early-season seeds... and since I did not plant my garden last year due to time constraints, I have most of the seeds I need to plant a full garden.


We had a storm on the first day of Spring, that took a few days to melt...





but I was able to turn the soil,


and plant the first round of early-season seeds over the weekend.




About 1/3 of my garden is now planted with varieties of Fava Beans, peas, carrots, onions, leeks, shallots, garlic, beets, spinach, mixed greens, and Swiss Chard... about 15 varieties in total.

If all goes well, we should have some fresh greens in a few weeks.

No comments: