Friday, December 13, 2019

Fiber Arts Friday: Tempestry, New Normal

I learned about the Tempestry Project a while back.  I don't exactly remember when, but a friend of mine was working on one.

Using data from NOAA, The Tempestry Project creates custom wall hanging kits to represent the daily high temperature at a given location during a given year.... for example, Fort Collins, CO, USA + 2009 + crochet.

I had been wanting to make one, but had not settled on a year or location.  Then earlier this year, they announced they were working on a project called New Normal.

The New Normal kit takes the Global Annual Average High using NASAGISS data and compares that to a baselined average over 1950-1980.

The more blue the color, the colder the average compared to the baselined average.  Likewise, the more red the color, the warmer the average was when compared to the baselined average.

I think this is an excellent representation of the threat we're facing.

This project is available in both a wall hanging or scarf as well as knit or crochet.


I have a few other projects in the queue, but I am looking forward to making my own New Normal Scarf.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

No comments: