Friday, December 6, 2019

Fiber Arts Friday: Shave 'Em to Save 'Em, Tunis

Image result for tunis sheep
source:  Better Country Farms
Tunis - This roving is so spongy!!  I'm very much looking forward to spinning it!


The staple is about 1.5 inches


It took me a bit to get my form down.  The 1.5-inch staple felt short, especially after spinning the Lincoln.  This drafts very differently from the Lincoln, Karakul and Navajo-Churro.... it reminds of Southdown Baby Doll and perhaps the Black Welsh Mountain.


In fact, it's so much slower to draft than everything else I've spun recently,


that I started pre-drafting the roving.


... until Ruby the cat go a hold of my bump.  :-/


Some of the roving was split, which spun faster, so I split the remainder of the bump as I worked on it.


Since this sample was in a center-pull bump, I'm decided to spin in one shot, then ply from a single cake.  The bobbin starts to get really heavy, especially if I'm not diligent about balancing the yarn across the length.


and it's about all my ball winder can handle.




According to the Livestock Conservancy, Tunis are one of the oldest livestock breeds developed in the US.  They can trace their heritage to a pair that were gifted to George Washington by the Bey of Tunis in the late 1700's.  They were common until the Civil War, when the majority of the southern stock was destroyed.

Tunis were primarily used for meat and wool, though are also good milkers.  With a docile temperament and both sexes being polled (without horns), they are easy keepers and appear to be gaining in popularity.

The Tunis are listed as Watch, meaning that fewer than 2,500 annual registrations in the United States and estimated global population less than 10,000. Also includes breeds that present genetic or numerical concerns or have a limited geographic distribution.


According to the Fleece and Fiber Sourcebook, the American Tunis actually descended from the Tunisian Barbary sheep.  They are a fat-tailed breed, making the meat tender and tasty.

This is one of the four rovings sourced from Aspen Kid.  While this roving is from a farm in Arizona, it feels good knowing that I am able to support both a conservation breeder and local distributor of rare breed products.  :-)

Final Yarn: Tunis
Single Duration: September 27 - November 25, 2019
Ply Duration: November 25 - 27, 2019
ounces: 3 5/8
yards: 218, 2-ply
wpi: 14
Ready to Submit:  November 29, 2019

SE2SE Status:
Total Breeds: 22
Breeds Sourced: 16
Breeds Spun: 7
Breeds To Go: 15

Months Remaining: 25 (12/31/21)

I feel like this fleece would be really nice in a sock yarn.... lots of bounce.  I'm looking forward to working with it more.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

1 comment: