Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Travel Reading, part 7 - Becoming


On a long trip home in mid-April, I had finished my book (The Google Guys), I figured I would finish it on that trip, so I had a knitting project with me as well.... which I normally do anyway, but it wasn't speaking to me.

Fortunately(?), I had a layover long enough to find a book that I had been wanting to read.... so while it wasn't next on my list.... I can say that I loved it.

As a general rule, I like to wait a bit before reading these types of memoirs.  But knowing Michelle Obama's background, having heard her speak, and recognizing how much I loved her and her husband while he was in office, I expected this book to be well written.

After finishing my last book, my travel schedule got more early and more late, so I started listening to Becoming on Audible rather than actually reading the book.  I found it quite nice listening to Michelle Obama's words in her own voice.

Though I have been listening to Podcasts recently, this was my first time listening to a book.

I think what struck me most is how invested Mr and Mrs Robinson were in their children's lives.  This is the thing that makes the most difference in the next generation, having adults interested in helping you become who you want to be.

If you haven't read Becoming already, I definitely recommend it.  Michelle Obama is a wonderful writer and story teller.  I learned a lot about her life prior to their public life.

No comments: