Friday, November 23, 2018

Fiber Arts Friday: Fiber Celebration, part 9

Over the course of this project, I've been worried that I don't have enough fiber prepared to complete my opposite-spun Gunnar Mittens.


So now that I have some knit, I weighed my yarn to determine that my consumption rate is ~1/4 ounce per 3cm on the wrist.

Since the palm is bigger than the wrist and there's a thumb.  I am going to assume a rate of 3/8 oz per 3 cm.... yes, I'm mixing Metric and Imperial units.  Sorry if this bothers you.  ;-)

At about 26 cm of total length per mitten, I should need about 6.5 oz (26cm x 2 mittens x 3/8 oz per 3 cm) of finished yarn for both mittens, and I will need extra yarn for the submission.  So my new goal is about 7 oz of total yarn spun.

Therefore, at 4.75 oz, I have ~65% of the needed yarn completed and more than enough fiber prepared.

I'll check my consumption rate again as I get into the palm and thumb.  But at least I know I don't have to finish the entire bag of prepared fiber (11 3/8 ounces).

Current Status:
  • 1/4 oz in mittens
  • 4-3/4 oz, 277.5 yd complete in 3 skeins
  • 1/4 oz in singles
  • 5 7/8 oz prepared fiber remaining
Happy Fiber Arts Friday.

ps, I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving, if you are State-side.

No comments: