Friday, November 16, 2018

Fiber Arts Friday: Fiber Celebration, part 8

With my swatching complete and after getting hand measurements from the intended recipient.... twice, because the first set are in an ultra-secure location that even I don't remember where I put them ... I laid out my way points for the mittens.  As I mentioned before, I don't have a detailed pattern for these mittens, but a general guideline and a kitting technique.


The mitts are not a surprise.  She knows I'm working on them.  I promised to make them for her more than a few years ago.

As a general rule, Hubba and I think and talk about things before we take action.  So it frustrates me when people are surprised by our decisions... ie, raising alpacas and dogs, moving to a farm, moving across states.  None of these things happened on a whim.

As a point of reference... the idea for these mitts was added to my Ravelry queue in September 2015.  The first conversation about this style with the recipient happened shortly after, but the first conversation about "Gunnar Mittens" happened well before then.

It is now November 2018.... so we're talking about more than 3-years from the time the idea was first talked about to the point where knitting is in progress.


Now deciding to spin yarn and knit mittens is not a life-style decision... or, maybe it is.  ;-)  But the timing for when this happened has more to do with other projects in progress and my goals related to fiber-related skills than anything else.  But it represents our modus operandi of working on the long game... these mittens will be entered into a competition before they are gifted to the very knit-worthy recipient.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

No comments: