Thursday, July 16, 2009

My First Fiber Arts Friday Post

The stars have aligned...

1. I have remembered to prepare a Fiber Arts Friday post
2. I have a project to talk about
3. I have pictures

Last December, my sister-in-law came for a visit.

We discovered that we had each been learning to knit. I was so excited that I took her to my favorite yarn shop where we spent way too much time looking at the selection and talking about different projects that we might be able to complete with our novice skills.

My sister (her sister-in-law) had just gotten engaged, so I asked what she thought about making a scarf out of wedding colors for a shower gift. I could knit a rectangle and the wedding was planned for June.
She encouraged me and said six months should be enough time to finish it. So I selected a wool/silk blend and gathered up what I hoped would be enough yarn to make one scarf, plus a little extra just in case.

I started on the scarf several times. I tried different widths and patterns, finally settling on a narrow knit 1, purl 1 pattern with an odd number of stitches so I didn't have to remember how to start the next row.
This scarf used a little over two skeins and wraps around the neck two-to-three times leaving plenty of length. I'm very pleased with how it turned out and the resulting fabric is soft and cuddly.




After the scarf was complete, I had plenty of yarn left over. I thought since my sister-in-law had taken to making hats, I should try one. If I was able to finish the hat prior to the shower it would be part of the gift. So I searched online for easy hat patterns and found a cute one that only had knit and purl stitches. This was actually the 2nd hat I ever made. I think it turned out pretty well and it goes nicely with the scarf, which was the intention. whew.

So I was complete with my shower projects and feeling quite good about my knitting skills when learned the shower was for couples.

I still had yarn left over, so I quickly made a London Beanie for my sister's fiance. I was very excited, it was the best hat I had made to date. Then I tried it on.
It was too small.

I had yarn left over and one week until the shower.

I knitted furiously every night after work on a modified pattern. And it didn't happen. I finished the larger beanie today. They have been married for nearly 1 month now.
I suppose this is my first collection. Four items made form the same yarn for the same event. These will now be Christmas gifts. At least I am finally out of this yarn.
See other Fiber Arts Friday Posts here.

4 comments:

TexasRed said...

These are great projects! Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday!

WonderWhyGal said...

Knitting is contagious! I already told my family that all they are getting is scarves and hopefully matching hats for christmas this year.

Welcome to Fiber Arts Friday!

maya | springtree road said...

hey, at least you finished them, right? it can be easy to get discouraged and put it away for later. :)

Thistle Cove Farm said...

I share your joy as I, too, remembered to post yesterday! -smile-