Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Merchant Marine

Many (ah-hem) years ago, when I was a little kid, I visited someone with my parents.

I don’t remember how many people were there, other than an old woman. I also don’t remember if both or just one of my parents were there, and nor do I remember if these people were friends or family.

I do remember the adults talking about someone who was a “Merchant Marine” and that they had something to do with boats.  This term confused me.

I was pretty sure that the Marines were military. I was also pretty sure that the Navy was the one with the boats.  But I wasn’t sure if the Marines were separate from the Navy.

I was confident that "Merchant" meant "Shop Keeper."

So I could not figure out why a retail store would need a military service.

I don’t remember hearing that term, "Merchant Marine," again, until last week, when I listened to this podcast episode by ModeKnit Yarns from several years ago.

Lucy Neatby, famed Knitwear Designer and Author, began her adult life as a Merchant Marine.

Fiber people are the most interesting people.

No comments: