Friday, July 21, 2023

Fiber Arts Friday: Tour de Fleece, 2023, part 4

Week three of the mens' race continues...

Day 14: Friday, July 14 - Stage 13
As of yesterday, I thought I might complete the current batch of roving and that it would be enough to meet my County Fair Entry Requirement...... and I did, and it is.  So I will ply it after the weekend.


I did almost forget to spin today... because I started working on a fiber presentation at the end of the day for next month.  I enjoy this type of writing a lot... and the presentation is now nearly finished.  So that's good.


Day 15: Saturday, July 15 - Stage 14, Challenge
As I mentioned last week, I did not plan any specific challenges for this year's Tour... spinning each of the stages continues to be enough of a challenge for now.  

Wilma and I were dog-showing this weekend, so I brought my drop-spindle with the perpetual Cashmere project with me.  My intent was to spindle during the waiting around times.


Which did not happen.

There was plenty of waiting around, but not in a way that had me comfortable to spin, for even a few minutes.

Day 16: Sunday, July 16 - Stage 15

I didn't spindle this day either.

However, once we got home from the show and I had a nap, I did cake and begin plying the completed single from Friday.


The cake weighs 40g, so I definitely have more than enough for my county fair entry.  WooHoo!



Day 17: Monday, July 17 - Rest Day
Since I did not spin on Saturday, I did some plying today, rather than take the Rest Day.


This catches me up for number of Stages spun.


Day 18: Tuesday, July 18 - Stage 16
A bit more plying for today.  One or two more sessions for this yarn to be complete.



Day 19: Wednesday, July 19 - Stage 17
I spent some extra time this morning and finished plying Yarn #1.




This yarn is now having a bath.
  • 137 yards
  • 40 g (1.4 oz)

Day 20: Thursday, July 20 - Stage 18
I began the second yarn today.


I think I will spin this single until the end of next week, then plan to spend the last three days plying for the final week.  Which means I should make at least another batch or two of roving.


Counts at the end of Week 3:
  • 1st Single is complete: 40 g (1.4 oz), 137 yards.
  • Second Single has begun.
  • Zero cashmere has been spun.
  • Spun 18 of 18 Stages
  • Over 40 total grams of Tibetan Mastiff has been completed

As mentioned last week, my goal for the end of this event is to have at least 1 oz (~29g) of a 2-ply yarn to enter into our county fair early next month.  Which has been completed.  That yarn is currently being dried and will be ready to go in time for entry drop-off.

Everything else is gravy.  :-)

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

No comments: