Friday, February 28, 2014

Fiber Arts Friday: Palindrome Scarf, part 2

My Palindrome Scarf hasn't been getting much love lately.  In fact, I haven't posted about it since October.....


Since October, I finished the first of the two grey balls and am now working on the last one, then I have one black ball left.  Total length is currently 19 inches.

The intent of this project was to use up left-over yarn, practice purling correctly and work on my transition between knit and purl stitches.  I started with 4 1/4 ounces and have used 3 1/8 ounces so far. At about 6 inches per ounce, I should finish my yarn at ~25 inches.  Which, in my opinion, is not long enough for a scarf.  :-/  I think they should be more like 60 inches when finished and then it would grow some with blocking.  Gosh, that means I would need another 5-6 ounces to finish this scarf.  sheesh.

That's disheartening.  :-(  This project is perfect for 5-10 minutes here and there or in the car or when there's a lot of distractions, but for anything else, I find it gets boring quickly.

On the plus side, my purls and the transition between knit stitch and purl stitch are looking pretty good.  :-)

Happy Fiber Arts Friday.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

How wide is it? Looks lovely to me! I have odd balls of some alpaca that I want to do in a shawl/scarf, but I just can't decide what color to start with and how to use up all the different colors. I guess just do it is all I can do.

Kathryn Ray said...

@ChrisKnits - it's ~14 inches wide if I flatten it out, but with the natural rolling it's ~10 inches wide.

I like it too... I really like the simplicity of the look, but the actual working on it :-P. It could be that I'm using bamboo needles, which are not my favorite. hmm

Vivian said...

All the math in this entry reminds me that I'm reading an engineer's blog :-)

The boring knittings are just that, give it time and it'll grow.

Kathryn Ray said...

LOL! yep. :-)

WonderWhyGal said...

For a busy woman, that 19 inches is a lot plus you are working on a skill that you wanted to improve. There, half full cup.

If the finished size isn't want you want for a scarf, you can always use it as the main square or rectangle to turn into a blanket. Keep practicing on other pieces and eventually they can be stitched together.

As for my chickens, we had chickens, turkeys and geese for years. We sold/ate or turkeys and geese and decided to just have the chickens. The feed price is getting to be too much and you can't have them on the pasture with the winter's we've had. Since the guard geese left, we started having issues. We can't win. We talked about LGD back when we first got Alpacas but after visiting a lot of farms that have them, decided they weren't for us. Thanks for your suggestion though.

AllyB said...

It's usually the most boring projects that are the most impressive when they're done. Just take a look at the coolest stuff in a Mason Dixon Knitting book and you'll see what I mean. Your scarf is very nice and since it's for those busy times it'll keep you company for a good long while.

Kelly Casanova said...

It's looking great, I hope you can keep up with it and get it finished :)