Friday, March 8, 2013

Fiber Arts Friday: Donegal Hat

With my single hank of Donegal Wool I want to make something that will show off the beauty of the yarn.


I thought quite a lot about the Palindrome Scarf.  A simple pattern with broad sections of knits and pearls... essentially a reversible stockinette scarf.... I do think that scarves should always be reversible.... or a least the reverse should not look like the back or the inside.  ;-)

Since the scarf is supposed to be long... and I like long scarves, I also thought this would be a good choice since I only have the one hank.  I could knit until the scarf is so long that I trip over it, or until I ran out of yarn... which ever came first.  ;-)

But...

The yarn is really too scratchy to use as a scarf... so after many needle sizes and much deliberation, I am now working on a gently-cabled hat.


I really like how the little slubs of color are popping out, but not taking over.... which, I think, is the beauty of Donegal Tweed.

But...

I'm thinking that the yarn will still be too scratchy on the forehead for a hat.

One of my comadres suggested a Qiviut liner, which would be luxurious.  Another had suggested a vest, but I haven't found any patterns I'm crazy about.  I am also having the thought about (finally?) setting up my loom and using it in a weaving of some sort.

I have only about 350 yards.  So, do any of you awesome, Fiberistas have a wonderfully, simple-looking pattern that I may be missing?

Thanks and Happy Fiber Arts Friday.

9 comments:

Its_Lily said...

I didn't know what a Qiviut liner was so I googled it, but didn't come up with a suitable answer. I'm guessing it super soft? Now I just want to see what you come up with for the yarn. It is very pretty.

Vivian said...

I'd say some sort of outter-wear for sure, a vest or shrug, like this:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/circular-shrug
You can make it longer or shorter, with or without sleeves. I love tweed yarns for the color variation, makes any finished project look interesting.

Carol said...

What about washing it when the hat is done with hair conditioner? I did this for a scratchy yarn sweater and it is now much softer.

Ginx Craft said...

The wool looks really lovely. I too am curious now about the Qiviut liner? So perhaps that is what you should make.

Kathryn Ray said...

Qiviut is the wool from a Muskox. Very, very soft.

Cathy Johnson said...

Interesting to read about Qiviut, I've heard of it in spinning, very feather like I understand? Love this yarn, the tweedy look is so quaint.

WonderWhyGal said...

I like the idea of a shrug or even a lightweight cardi.

Unknown said...

Sorry, got nothing. LOL! But love the color. I have tons of chartreuse Donegal I WAS making a sweater of. But realized that a Donegal Tweed pullover would just be too hot for my "age". Haha

Sarah JS said...

A mitten pattern I have uses laceweight angora yarn to knit a lining for the cuffs -- which might work for the hat. Which I agree is looking loverly!