Friday, January 27, 2012

Fiber Arts Friday: A Simple Hat??

When I ripped out my bandana cowl a couple of weeks ago, I was traveling and still had plenty of knitting time ahead of me, so I decided to cast on a hat.

I've made this pattern a couple of times... back in my baby hats for adult-sized head days.  :-)

The pattern is written to be made flat, but I prefer to knit in the round.  So it's probably best to say this hat was inspired by that pattern, because honestly I didn't really follow the pattern all that well.
Hmmm.... are we uncovering something here?  Oh, no.  We already knew that engineers don't follow directions very well.  Even if I'm not practicing, I am still recovering.  ;-)
Anyway, the detail isn't exactly as designed and the hat looked more like a bucket than it's supposed to, but I thought it was still pretty cute.

Then I blocked it.

Gently, mind you.  No pins.  No stretching.  I just soaked it, layed it out flat and turned the edges down.  I thought it would help even-out the stitches a little.  Which it did, but geez... big hat, Big Hat, BIG HAT!

It's really hard to take a picture of yourself in the mirror
when you can't see because your hat is too big.

Seriously, what is up with me making big stuff lately?  Remember this gem??  Ugh

I'm afraid this one may be frogged too.

Maybe it's the yarn?

It's nearly 4 skeins (including what's in the hat and used to be in the cowl) that is left over from the Plumber Sweater I made a while back.  It's a soft, commercial, alpaca yarn.  I really like working with it.  But I think no matter how much I want to finish it off, it wants to stay in my stash.

Although, I am sorta thinking that a turn in a hot soapy bucket of water with a plunger might serve as a warning to the 2 1/2 skeins waiting to torment me.  ;-)

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!  :-D

18 comments:

Dutch Hollow said...

Bigger isn't bad especially with hats. Now you can fold up the brim to give you double the warmth on your ears.

Kathryn Ray said...

You can't really see in the photo, but it's too big all around. Which makes me think felting could be a good solution.

Heather Woollove said...

Hahaha...yep, you need to threaten that remaining yarn to keep it in line!! :)

Carlin said...

Oops. Maybe the rest of the yarn wants to be something where the gauge doesn't really matter. Scarves ftw!

Melissa Plank said...

Cute post, it's great idea to felt it! If it doesn't work out as a hat, it would make a neat felted basket.

Voie de Vie said...

I admit, I immediately thought to felt it. Go with Occam's razor on this one!

Sam said...

Could you try to turn it into a tam if you put a tighter band around the bottom?

Vivian said...

It must be the yarn. Some yarns tend to stretch more than others and don't bounce back. Felting would probably help, or just tighten up the edge and make it into a tam/poofy hat. The sweater is lovely!

Spinster Beth said...

Uhm, I, uh love the sweater you're wearing in the photo! It's really awesome!

WonderWhyGal said...

I was told recently by an awesome knitter that not everything needs a soak to "block" sometimes a spritz will do the trick especially with Alpaca and since I've had a bunch of projects that have grown, I know.

It will be beautiful felted.

Kathryn Ray said...

@Kathleen - thanks. I figure laughing at myself is better than crying about it. ;-)

@VdV - I admit, I had to look up Occam's Razor. :-)

@Beth - you are so right. That sweater is the awesomest! It has been well loved for more than 15 years. :-)

@WWG - good point. The hat was only a little big before I blocked it.

All - I bought a bucket and plunger today with every intent of teaching that yarn a lesson, but Hubba intercepted. He's decided that the hat is his. It fits his big (full of brains) head... loosely. :-)

Jocelyn said...

There you go, if doesn't fit you, find someone who fits it! I'm a recovering enginerd too, directions are guidelines.

Alittlebitsheepish said...

Go for it with the felting, it will be more satisfying for you than frogging, whip that yarn into line!

fiberdance said...

I love the hat-it would be perfect for felting-just don't go too small, now.

AllyB said...

I can attest that the bucket/plunger technique is a lot of work but quite effective and getting yarn to behave. I like the shape of the hat and wonder if you couldn't just roll it up. I've seen lots of hats with rolled brims lately...give it a try before you abandon the hat for good.

Via Verde Farm said...

Great photo! I vote for felting! Go for it!

Lindy and Paul said...

I'm getting ready to make a bandana cowl with handspun alpaca art yarn, so thanks for the reminder about the importance of gauge! I have had many pure alpaca hats "grow". I recommend a tighter gauge than what might use when knitting with wool :)

AC said...

Yup, it's that engineer streak that won't allow you to follow directions. We just know how to do it BETTER.