Wednesday, October 19, 2011

My Acrylic Scarf

Yep. You read that right. I have an acrylic scarf.


I bought it years ago. Hubba and I were in Chicago for a marathon. It was cold and I had not packed appropriately.

We went into a few nearby department stores. It was fall and therefore not quite winter shopping season.  So there wasn't much to choose from, but I found this scarf.  I didn't love it.  It was too expensive.  I was cold.

I am in Minnesota this week. I felt I should bring a scarf, but didn't think it would be cold enough to warrant a full-on alpaca scarf. So I brought the Chicago scarf.

I have not worn this thing since that trip to Chicago so many years ago. I would pull it out to wear, but always ended up choosing something else. I wasn't really sure why. I like the design and colors of the scarf, but for some reason I never wore it.

Anyway, I did bring this scarf with me to Minnesota this week. I've been wearing it for the majority of the last 3 days and I finally realized yesterday why I don't like this scarf. It's acrylic!

It's soft, but it's not satisfying. Does that make any sense? It leaves a weird sort of after-feel that I can only compare to the weird after-taste of a diet soda. It just feels fake.

So now that I know why I don't like this scarf, I'm certain it will be headed to a goodwill bin.

5 comments:

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

I LOVE it! And I'm not totally spoiled to acrylic yet (or diet soda). If I send you shipping, can I save it from your goodwill pile? hehe

Alittlebitsheepish said...

Ha, you have been seduced by the good stuff and spoiled for anything else! :D I do think acrylic has a place in the knitting world, but mostly for babies and blankets, things that need a lot of washing.

pinkundine said...

Whilst I think acrylic certainly has its place, I know what you mean about it feeling wrong. For me, I think it is because (for a scarf) it gives the wrong kind of warmth. I'm not even sure if that makes sense, but it is a prickly warmth rather than a cosy satisfying one.

WonderWhyGal said...

Ha, Ha! I know what you mean. I have scarf that I used to love to wear and now that I've gone fine fiber...I can't go back. I'm even hesitant on giving it to Sister Bear because she has even been seduced by the Wonder of Alpaca.

Kathryn Ray said...

@Pinkundine - You are correct!