Saturday, October 1, 2011

Introducing: Alpacamundo's Clementine

So, our final official cria watch for 2011 lasted all of half a day.

I had just finished unloading the car after running errands most of the morning.  I headed out to the alpaca corral to say hello to the dogs before I went inside for lunch.

Kocoa was acting very uncomfortable and kept looking at her backside like "What the heck is going on back there?"  Though, I don't think she was thinking "heck" if you know what I mean.

I ran inside to let Hubba know I thought she was in labor.

We decided to bring the dogs inside so she could be in labor without puppies bothering her.

As soon as we got the dogs out of the corral I saw a tiny black nose poking out.


So the dogs went straight into the dog run and we sat down to watch.

This was the first time I was there to see the entire birthing process.  Actually it was the first time for both of us.  All of the girls were pretty interested in what was going on too.


I ran inside to grab my phone so I could call a friend to ensure everything was going properly.  The whole process took about 15 minutes.


The cria was up and nursing in just over an hour.


In fact, she was actually nursing before she was walking since she was lucky enough to get upright in the exact right location.


The puppies haven't met Clementine yet, but I thought you all should.  :-)

The puppies will meet her tomorrow after she has some time to get control of those long legs.

So this is Alpacamundo's Clementine.


She is the daughter of Enchanted Sky's Kocoa Moon and either Blue Mesa Yoda or Smokey's Bandit at Pastoral Profits.  We will have a blood test and new cria exam in the next week or so.

6 comments:

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

Yay! I'm so glad it happened on a weekend so you got to experience it all :-) Thanks for sharing it with us!

Paula said...

Congratulations on the new family member!

Voie de Vie said...

Oh how exciting! Congratulations - and I agree, I'm glad it happened when you were able to take it all in, and be available in case there had been complications (which, fortunately, there were not!).

WonderWhyGal said...

Hooray! Congratulations. Isn't it wonderful to see the complete birth? I'm so excited for you and your farm. The cria is beautiful.

Alittlebitsheepish said...

Hooray! Congratulatons, and thank you for sharing the lovely baby pictures :)

Alpaca Farmgirl said...

Wonderful my dear Kathryn. And I named my very first alpaca cria Clementine.

Of all the gin joints... can you believe that?

We must meet. And hug.