Friday, April 7, 2023

Fiber Arts Friday: Yarn Fest 2023, part 1

In late January (2023) the Yarn Fest Schedule was released.  So I took time to review the offerings and list of expected vendors.

For the first time I can remember, I made a list of classes I was interested in for an event/semester and every single one worked together in a schedule.

This is remarkable.  There is always at least one (usually a lot more) that have time conflicts.  I took this as a sign that I would be able to take at least one class at Yarn Fest later this year (April 2023).

These are the classes I was interested in, with Spinning and Steeking as my highest priorities:

  • Spinning Long Draw
  • Estonian Lace
  • Orenburg Lace
  • Kitting with Beads
  • Thrumming
  • Fixing Mistakes in Knitting
  • Steeking

As March began, it became clear that my Twisted Rib Stocking Cap would be completed soon and that I likely would have time to complete the homework for the Steeking class.  Also one Saturday afternoon class would be ok, both in time commitment and amount of new information, as well as not impact my vacation budget from the Day Job.

So I stopped by The Loopy Ewe to pick up some Cascade 220.... I have other colorways of this yarn in my stash, but would be unable to access them until well-after our remodel was completed which would not give enough time to complete the homework.

I have been working to get Cascade out of my stash, but the reality is that it's a good option for learning/workshops.  Mostly because it is consistent/predictable, 100% wool, and not very expensive.  Therefore I don't care if I damage it in the process of learning new things.  So now I have a few more colorways to work with.

It only took me about 8 days to complete the two swatches.  However, I am happy to have it complete prior to moving back into our house, because I have not had time to work on this over the last couple of weeks.

Now it's time to get all of the other required supplies organized.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

No comments: