Friday, February 10, 2023

Fiber Arts Friday: Principessa

At the time I decided to make this hat, I had worked my way down to two active projects from six.

I was looking forward to finishing both of them (SOS and Clown Fish) and begin working on a pair of Mitts and another Sweater that has been in my queue for quite some time, as well as a third project that recently garnered a high level in my queue... so high, that I bought new yarn for it. lol

Then a few days later, in early January, we learned a dear friend of ours was in the hospital with what turned out to be a brain tumor.

Her daughter had just left for graduate school, so we knew we would be doing all we could to help with what ever needed to be done here.

I also knew that I would make her a hat.

So on the next morning, after ruminating on it overnight, I got a picture in my head of what the project would be.

So while we were in the process of moving out in order to begin our Major Remodeling Project and most of my stash had already been packed away, I had kept my sock yarns accessible for the Sock Madness Tournament that I've since decided to not participate in this year.

I chose this autumn-colored yarn.


I expect that I'll use less than one full skein, but I caked both since I had the swift and ball winder out.



Then began swatching with US1.  Since I had just made a pair of socks with a similar gauge yarn, my fabric was spot on.


The pattern I chose is Principessa by Woolly Wormhead.  I've been wanting to make one of their patterns for quite some time and bought this one early last year (2022).  I am planning to make the slouch version.

The pattern is designed for US6 and heavier gauge yarn than I am using, so understanding how my gauge affects the adjustments I need to make is important.... especially since the hat is intended to be used and therefore should fit comfortably.  :-)

In looking thru some of the other projects completed for this pattern, I like that this maker made the brim long-enough to fold over.... I may do this, though likely not as long.

Therefore the plan is the Slouchy version with a foldable brim.  US1 needles yielding a gauge of 29 stitches/4 inches and 11 pattern repeats for a 22 inch head.  I generally prefer that the number of repeats be odd, so 11 makes me happy.  :-)


After making progress on the brim and starting to figure out where the design element repeat occurs so I could make it taller, I realized that there is a set of increases after the brim is complete... and that my cast-on number is incompatible.

I'm a little frustrated with myself for not reading the pattern more thoroughly before I started.  sigh.

After trying a few scenarios (with a tired brain), I decided to frog this and begin with a different pattern.  I will definitely make Principessa in the future, possibly for myself.  ;-)

Until next time, happy Fiber Arts Friday.

No comments: