Friday, April 29, 2022

Fiber Arts Friday: Un-plying

I have not tried this before now, but with the goal of reclaiming yarn from a couple of very-early projects, I decided to give it a try and found this resource.

First up is grey unknown wool

This was the very first time I had plied anything.  It was part of my initial spinning class.  We were given balls of the two different greys in single form and then plied them together.

My resulting yarn was reasonably decent.

It was not enough for a full hat, even though I tried... twice.  :-)  The results were closer to a Yarmulke than even a beanie, let alone a full, fledged hat.

Step 1 - take the hats apart.  :-)


Step 2 - un-ply with the wheel, aka spin backward


Step 3 - wind into separate balls/cakes



Second Attempt is with Handspun Alpaca





I did not un-ply enough.  So while separating into a ball and cake, I got stuck.


So I ended up cutting the yarn a few times and did a couple more passes at un-plying.  This alpaca is a very-early-example of my spinning and plying skills..... I've come a loooong way.  :-D


These will now be going into my Scrappy Palindrome Scarf.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

No comments: