Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Yoga Challenge

I was first introduced to the Original Hot Yoga method (formerly known as Bikram) about 20 years ago.  I immediately loved the style as it was challenging, accessible, predictable, and works every part of the body every time.

I practiced as much as I could but would take extended time off due to work schedules.  Unfortunately my practice has been more off than on over the last 10 years.

With that being said, I had been trying to re-establish a regular practice and having a difficult time due to my work/travel schedule for the last few years.

So with a layoff due to COVID last spring (Easter) and the limited re-opening of "gyms" in Colorado last summer (July 2020), I set out with renewed focus to restart a regular practice last summer.... Social Distanced and Masked.

Yes, Hot Yoga in a Mask!

I began with one class every 3-4 days and was able to work up to a steady-state of 4 classes per week when I accepted a work contract at the end of January 2021.  At the same time the annual Yoga Challenge was beginning.  It has been a long personal goal to participate in the 60-day Challenge.... the full challenge being to complete 60 classes in 60 days.

While I knew I wasn't ready for back-to-back classes for 60 days in a row, I felt confident that I could achieve 5 classes per week, for 9 weeks.

Well, during the Challenge I only achieved 5 twice, and my average was closer to 3 classes per week.  I missed a few days due to caution over a possible COVID exposure.  I also missed a week and a half due being snowed in and a few more days for other reasons.

So while the official challenge is now over, I am holding my 5 days/week goal for the next couple of months, and will continue to work toward 60 classes in 60 days... Hopefully next year!

No comments: