Friday, July 17, 2020

Fiber Arts Friday: Tour de Fleece 2020, part 5

Day 14 - Friday, July 10
Continuing with the TM+Huacaya and Shropshire from last week...

Chiengora - TM+Huacaya: 33:18 Minutes

This single will definitely be finished tomorrow.


SE2SE - Shropshire: 33:18 Minutes


I could not have matched the durations so precisely if I tried.  :-)

Podcasts/Timekeeping: none

Total Time: 1 hour 6 minutes


Day 15 - Saturday, July 11
Chiengora - TM+Huacaya: 32 Minutes

This single is now finished.



SE2SE - Shropshire: 38 Minutes


Podcasts/Timekeeping:

Wise Traditions by the Westin A Price Foundation - 1 1/2 episodes

Total Time: 1 hr 10 minutes


Day 16 - Sunday, July 12
Chiengora - TM+Huacaya: 32 Minutes

Began plying today.


SE2SE - Shropshire: 34 Minutes


Podcasts/Timekeeping:

Wise Traditions by the Westin A Price Foundation - 1/2 episode

Total Time: 1 hour 6 minutes


Day 17 - Monday, July 13 - Rest

Today is supposed to be a rest day, but I've built a habit of spinning while drinking morning coffee, so ...

SE2SE - Shropshire: 15 Minutes


Podcasts/Timekeeping: none

Total Time: 15 minutes


Day 18 - Tuesday, July 14
Chiengora - TM+Huacaya: 31 Minutes

I think I'll be done plying tomorrow.


SE2SE - Shropshire: 31 Minutes

I'm concerned I won't finish this single by the end of the tour, so I might try to spend more time in the coming days.


Podcasts/Timekeeping: none

Total Time: 1 hour 2 minutes


Day 19 - Wednesday, July 15
Chiengora - TM+Huacaya: 17 Minutes

I finished plying today.




This is a lovely balanced yarn.  I'm looking forward to seeing it after washing.

SE2SE - Shropshire: 48 Minutes

I am spinning this at about 10 grams per 1/2 hour and had ~77 grams to go this morning.  So that's about 8 - 1/2 hour increments and 5 days remaining in this Tour de Fleece.

I have a reasonable plan to finish the single by the end of this Tour, but one of our alpacas threw me yesterday when I was trimming her toenails.  I have a minor sprain in my right hand+wrist+forearm, so I'll have to take it easy and hope for the best.  :-)


Chiengora - Gold Tibetan Mastiff: 13 Minutes


Podcasts/Timekeeping: none

Total Time: 1 hour 18 minutes


Day 20 - Thursday, July 16 - Challenge
Chiengora - Gold Tibetan Mastiff: 48 Minutes

I fell in love with my first-ever core-spun yarn from Day 9.  So today for the Mountain Range Challenge, I plan to make a more refined core-spun yarn and then use it to make coils.

As I mentioned on Day 9, these are the suggestions that one of our team members put together:
  • First Challenge = The One Mountain Challenge.  Try a Single-step Textured Yarn, such as wolf yarn, thick-n-think, core spun, spiral, pigtails, or coils.
  • The second Challenge Day = The Mountain Range Challenge.  This time is to try a Multi-step Textured Yarn, such as silk glazing, crep, bullion, boucle, coils, and pigtails.
These are the same example videos I posted last week:


I would not say this yarn is refined, but it is less wild than my first core-spun yarn.  ;-)



The yarn on the left was taking the clockwise core-spun and wrapping over the same cotton core in the clockwise direction.  This yielded an extremely excited yarn.

So I decided to make the right right, which is taking the clockwise core-spun yarn and plying it to itself, trying to wrap one leg around the other.


I don't think either of these represents a very good coiled yarn, but it's fun to try something new and gives me something to work on for the next TdF challenge.

SE2SE - Shropshire: 39 Minutes


Podcasts/Timekeeping:

Wise Traditions by the Westin A Price Foundation - 1 episode

Total Time: 1 hr 27 minutes

***

3 yarns completed and 7 hrs 24 minutes of spinning for this week.  For a total of 7 yarns completed and 25 hrs 56 minutes of spinning in the Tour thus far.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

No comments: