Friday, April 26, 2019

Fiber Arts Friday: Mohair

Soon after my trip to Stitches West, while I was cataloging my take, I was feeling inspired to make something with some of my new yarn.

This Japanese Mohair+Silk yarn is very special.  I knew it had silk as soon as I walked into the booth.


The people working the booth had asked me what I planned to make when I purchased the yarn.... I had no idea other than it would be something to go around my head, because I love the smell of silk.

I decided on a simple pattern that would feel lacy, without having much lace.


After playing around with the pattern, I decided I didn't like the color change, so I decided to make the piece with only the gold yarn.

After working on it for a bit and ripping it out, then starting again a slightly different way, ripping it out again, and then starting a completely different pattern, I have decided that I don't love knitting with mohair... or at least I don't love knitting with mohair lace weight yarn and the needles I was using.

I think I need pointier and smoother needles.... even though I was using Addi Turbo Lace needles.

I do love the colors, so maybe these will be better for a weaving?

The last time I used a mohair lace yarn, I added it to a thicker yarn to give a little fuzz to my SantaClava's beard... so maybe that's another idea.

In the meantime, this yarn has been sent to my stash.

Happy (frustrating) Fiber Arts Friday.

2 comments:

Linda said...

I'm sure whatever you decide to make will be awesome. I've switched to ChiaoGoo Red needles almost exclusively. They are pointier and very smooth. I store my circulars in their original packaging and I like that the coated cable doesn't remember that it was stored in a circular form when I take it out of the packaging.

Kathryn Ray said...

Thanks!

I have several ChiaoGoo circulars in Bamboo. I didn't realize they had a metal version. I will give these a try, since I also store my needles in their original packaging. :-)