Friday, October 5, 2018

Fiber Arts Friday: Fiber Celebration, part 3

After setting up my plan to finish the Twined Knit (tvåändstickning) Mittens in time to enter the Fiber Celebration next February, I realized that I should do a test knit.

I don't have a pattern to work from... just a technique and set of guidelines.  So I figure I should practice before beginning the final work.

I started with a couple of swatches... a standard knit and a twined knit.

I chose a yarn I don't care too much about.... the Twined technique will unwind standard-spun yarns... so I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't care if the test yarn got ruined while I was learning how to do the technique.


The twined swatch is noticeably thicker than the standard.  Also there are slightly more stitches per inch on the twined swatch.

I think the back is interesting.  You can see the twisting of the strands.  It reminds of color-work, though I haven't done much.


The twined technique uses two strands and recommended knitting with both the inside and outside strand from a center-pull ball.


I did not care for the twisting of the strands.  My sample yarn is a very slippery acrylic, so the cake did not stay together well.  Certainly this is a contributing factor, but I've decided to start knitting the final project using two balls.


While my twined swatch doesn't look great, I feel I have a good handle on the technique.

Next steps are to keep spinning yarn and swatch with the actual yarn to determine needle size.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

No comments: