Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Apples, 2018


Our apples have been ready to be processed since August and our tree was especially full this year.  Which is nice given all of the hail we had over the summer.

Normally the apples are not ready until October.... which I think is predicting an early and harsh winter.


We've given a lot of apples away, since I haven't had time for processing.  But I borrowed my neighbor's orchard ladder (now on my to acquire list) over the weekend.  I picked 8 grocery sacks-full, gave a few sacks away and processed several batches.





I started with our favorite applesauce and tried apple pie filling and pickled apples.


I'm super excited about the pickled apples!  I wish I had time to make more.

In the last week we've had our first snow (10/10), first frost (10/12), +60F shorts and flip-flops weather (10/13), and first hard freeze (10/14).  It's back in the 50's-60's for the next several days.

I love this time of year.

No comments: