Saturday, June 6, 2015

Fiber Arts Friday on Saturday: Spindling Cashmere

I've been having a hard time being away from the farm during the day.  Especially now that winter is over and there is still daylight when I get home.

So last week I decided to start bringing my drop spindle to the office.

I hadn't been taking time for lunch at the Day Job.... just eating while I'm working so I can get home sooner to help with chores and puppies.  But I figured that spending 10-15 minutes with wood and fiber in the middle of the day might be good for my soul.

I had started spindling this cashmere at the end of last summer's Tour de Fleece.  It was a gift from one of my shearing clients.  I shear her llama and alpacas.  She also has horses, chickens, peacocks and a few goats.

She had mentioned that she didn't know what to do with the black goat's undercoat.  I believe I stopped in the middle of what I was doing and started salivating.  ;-)  So she said she would try to save some of it for the next year.  But surprised me by sending a 1/4 ounce in the mail a few weeks later.


I love working with cashmere, so bringing it to the office has been a nice respite.

I suspect I'll be finished with the single in a couple of days.  I'm not fast with the drop spindle, but using it nearly every day means I'm getting better and spinning this fine fiber from a cloud means I've broken the yarn a couple of times when I start to get too confident.  ;-/

Linking up with Fiber Arts Friday on Saturday.  Be sure to check everyone out over there.

Have a great one!

3 comments:

Linda said...

Mmmm Cashmere, sigh. And you spin it so thin!! Sounds like a great way to decompress during the work day.

Voie de Vie said...

What a way to educate your shearing clients. :) It's looking really wonderful. At some point I will pick up my drop spindle and attempt to start spinning. At some point.

Natalie said...

I want to try spinning cashmere. It's on my to-do list as soon as I have a chance to get back to the spinning wheel.