Friday, October 5, 2012

Fiber Arts Friday: A Growing Herd

I had hopes of sharing some fiber-y goodness with you today, but we kept having babies...

Friday morning we were blessed with Holly.  Saturday afternoon we were surprised by Pearl.  Then Monday we were prepared for Willow to make her debut.

L-R: Holly, Pearl, Willow

It would appear that my plan to have all of our cria born around the same time has worked much better than expected.  Three healthy girls in four days.  :-D

On Wednesday, Daisy was confirmed not-pregnant (again) by ultrasound but Apple is definitely pregnant.  So we will be expecting one cria in June and then breeding everyone again next summer.

L-R: Daisy, Willow, Clementine, Apple, Keyla

In the meantime, I will be talking with some friends about setting Daisy up with their very handsome, more assertive, more experienced and hopefully not related herdsire.

Then later on Wednesday, Wasabi joined the family.  As we know, Tibetan Mastiffs grow a nice fur that makes a very squooshy yarn and they can produce quite a lot of it.  ;-)

A rare clear photo of 4 dogs.
L-R: Wasabi, Noodle, Wonton  with The Alpaca Dog in front.

The dogs are doing very well with each other and the new cria.

I hope you're having a beautiful Fiber Arts Friday.  Be certain to visit everyone linked in over at Wisdom Begins in Wonder.  :-)

12 comments:

Melissa Plank said...

I love to see your growing family of animal friends, they are all quite handsome. Best wishes!

Voie de Vie said...

I didn't realize you now had 4 dogs - I thought you only had the three TMs (who I love!); I thought all of them were "the alpaca dogs." :)

So whatcha gonna do with all the lovely alpaca fiber?

Kathryn Ray said...

Ahhh... yes, I suppose that could be confusing.

The Alpaca Dog is our house dog. I used to call him "The Dog we should have named Houdini." But after the alpacas moved in and he had a job to do he stopped going on his own adventures.

What won't I do with all of the lovely alpaca fiber? ;-)

Andria said...

Baby anything makes me so happy, and yours are so cute! Lovely dogs as well, you sure have your hands full!

Cathy Johnson said...

Congrats on those cute cria, they're so adorable! I love reading about the happenings on alpaca farms, it's a life I often dream about :)

Vivian said...

The baby alpacas are so insanely cute! You are going to have so much wonderful fibers, alpaca or dogs, it will be so much fun!

Alittlebitsheepish said...

Beautiful new additions, so much cuteness!

WonderWhyGal said...

oooh, it is fibery! They will have gorgeous fleece's to shear next year.

Congrats on your growing farm. My goal is to always have the cria born at the same time. I hate when the pregnancy doesn't take. We have one cria right now and he wants to play and the girls won't play with him.

Heather Woollove said...

Wow...your family is growing by leaps and bounds! It must be an amazing amount of work for you. I'm surprised that you get any knitting done at all!! :) XO-

AC said...

You've had such an exciting week! The cria are too cute (is cria both singular and plural? Crias seemed weird).

Kathryn Ray said...

Yep, Cria and Cria. Like Moose and Moose or Elk and Elk and Deer and Deer... oh my, it seems I could go on for a while. ;-)

AllyB said...

Hey Kathryn, those are some super cute cria. How many alpaca do you have now? That's quite an impressive pack of dogs. It's difficult to know for sure but they look gigantic.