Friday, July 13, 2012

Fiber Arts Friday: Tour de Fleece 2012, part 2

More Tour de Fleece this week...

Friday, July 6
I decided to go back to thick again.  :-)

This is a Lincoln roving that came from the same farm as the Corriedale I spun last week.

My intent is to spin a similar weight yarn so that they can be used together in the same project.


I must say that this is a whole lot different than that amazing Grade 1 Alpaca also from last week.  This is my first time spinning Lincoln, and I am liking it so far.  :-)


Saturday, July 7
I had plenty of time to spin today, including a little time during the Tour de France coverage this morning.  :-)


Sunday, July 8
A little more Tour de France coverage saw me finish the single.


Then I wound it into a cake


and plied into a 2-ply yarn.


This time I plied from the center and outside strand of the same cake.  I had a few issues with tangles, but in the end I used all of the yarn in the final 2-ply.

I love the sheen in this yarn.


64 1/2 yards of Maplecroft Woolworks Lincoln - white
Boulder, Colorado
4 1/8 ounces
~9 wpi
Again, pretty close to what I was going for.  :-)

Monday, July 9
I had a hard time deciding what to spin next since I didn't really expect to complete this much already.

So when I don't know what to do, I usually spin alpaca thin for a big long-term project I have planned.  But since I'm out of prepared alpaca, I thought this camel+merino would be nice.  :-)


Which it is.  :-)

I don't know where it's from other than I picked it up at the Estes Park Wool Market last month.

Tuesday, July 10 - Rest Day

Wednesday, July 11
It's a good thing that I have that 1/2 inch goal.  I didn't think I would have any time today, but I found 10 minutes for spinning.  :-)


Thursday, July 12
About a 1/2 hour before the day job started.


I sure like starting the day with a little spinning.  :-)

Happy Spinning and Happy Fiber Arts Friday.  Be sure to join in the fun over at Wisdom Begins in Wonder.

11 comments:

Paula said...

Wow, woman! That's a lot of spinning! And so beautiful. You know, if you end up with an excess of smooshy, gorgeous yarn, I might be able to help. And I'm local! ;) Happy weekend!

Voie de Vie said...

I love that Lincoln plied! What a gorgeous skein. I do hope you plan to use it with what you spun in the first week of the TdF. :)

MarmePurl said...

Well you certainly are having a productive tour! My Favorite..the Camel/Merino.

Vivian said...

Belated thanks for the blog award! I haven't done these "a few things" stuff for awhile, so it was a lot of fun looking them up and see how things have changed over the years.

Love the camel merino blend, don't think I've ever seen it before!

oak haven alpacas said...

I love the idea of plying from the cake!! great way not to have left overs.


Cara

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

I'm impressed with your cake plying. My attempts have most of the time resulted in tears at some point!

Did you ever get your answer to Lincoln vs Lincoln Longwool?

Spinster Beth said...

That camel-merino is gorgeous ... but I love the 2-ply! So fluffy!

WonderWhyGal said...

I'm curious why you ply from the cake? Your TdF spinning is great!

Kathryn Ray said...

My Lazy Kate is too small to hold my bobbins, so I had to figure out another way.

The first time I plied in my spinning 101 class we plied from balls. A cake is faster to wind up than a ball, so there you go.

Linda said...

Your spinning is looking gorgeous!

AllyB said...

Kudos on your TDF accomplishments. Your spinning is beautiful.