Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Alpacas are Coming - part 2

With the alpacas on their way today, I've been reflecting on the last couple of years...


We bought our first alpaca in September 2007.  His name is Charlie Brown and I was in love.  He was 2 weeks old and oh so cute.  I had intended to name all of our cria after other Peanuts characters because I have loved them since I can remember. 

Of course, two years and five cria later, not a single one has been named after anyone in the Peanuts gang.


We named our first Augustus.  He was a strapping boy, screaming white and born in August 2008.


Then came Daisy, named for my mom's favorite flower.


Frieda was our first 2009 cria.  My husband named her after a favorite artist of his sister.


Eduardo was born during Senator Ted Kennedy's funeral.


Our most recent cria is Captain Jack who's name was chosen as the winning entry in our Name the Alpaca contest.

We have two cria due in 2010.  One maiden will be coming of age in the spring.  We also have an older dam who we are slowing down to be bred or nursing, but not both.

Our herd is now a baker's dozen at 13 alpacas.  They will be here in a couple of hours.  We are ready to receive them. 

No comments: