Friday, January 4, 2019

Fiber Arts Friday: Fiber Celebration, part 13

As of 30 December 2018, I am done spinning for my Gunnar Mittens!


28 weeks since I started and 8 weeks later than planned.

My early estimated consumption rate was very high.  I tend to round up because I hate running out of yarn.  So now that I'm well into the palm of the first mitten, I estimate that I will finish this mitten out at a little less than 2 oz... or ~ 4 oz of yarn for both mittens.

This means I already have enough yarn complete for the project.  So I wound off ply #9 and combined it with plies #8, 7, and 5 to make skein #4.

Top to Bottom: Skein #4 (to be washed and blocked), Skein #3,
Skeins #2 and 1 (balled), Singles #8 and 9 (caked), Mitten #1

This last skein is only 0.5 oz and 35 yards, and still needs to be washed and blocked.  But I am now ensured to have two separate yarns available for the duration of the project.

I plan to continue spinning this bag oppositely, but now I will focus more on filling each bobbin with singles and less on completing 3-ply yarns.... at least for now.


I'd like to try this opposite-spun yarn on a standard knit project.

Current Status:
  • 5-1/4 oz, 312.5 yd complete in 4 skeins
  • 3/4 oz in singles
  • 1 oz in mittens
  • 4 1/4 oz of prepared fiber remain
Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

No comments: