Friday, November 30, 2018

Fiber Arts Friday: Fiber Celebration, part 10

As a Program Manager in my Day Job, I know that no project ever goes exactly as planned.  Generally, this isn't a big deal as long as the important things are met.  So checking in with my original plan for my Gunnar Mittens you can see that:


  • I wanted to be done spinning and plying by now - I am not
  • I was planning to ply everything at once, after all of the singles had been completed - I've already plied everything that was available.
  • I prepared far more fiber than is needed for this project, so I only need to spin about 2 more oz instead of almost 6 oz.
  • I considered including 2 oz of a contrasting color - Since it was needed first in the knitting process, I decided against it.
  • I wasn't planning to start knitting until early December - I started knitting in mid-October, 6-weeks early.  I am currently 35% complete with the first mitten.
So while I don't have to spin as much fiber as I prepared, and I started knitting 6 weeks early, I also have less available time and the knitting is going slower than I expected.

With more holidays coming up, I expect to have some extra time available for knitting and spinning before the expected submission date in mid-February.  But I am concerned that I won't complete this project on time.  Frankly, I felt the plan was aggressive from the beginning.  But that doesn't mean it's not worth trying.

In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal if I miss this submission deadline.  However, I will be disappointed.  So I will keep working at it.

    By the way, I really like the Crook Stitches at the wrist.

    Current Status:
    • 4-3/4 oz, 277.5 yd complete in 3 skeins
    • 7/8 oz in singles
    • 5 7/8 (~2) oz remaining
    • 5/8 oz in mittens
    Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    No comments: