Friday, February 1, 2013

Fiber Arts Friday: Following Instructions

I've mentioned more than a few times that I'm not very good at following directions.  I blame it on being an engineer.

The first time I tried the Bandana Cowl I was using smaller than recommended yarn and needles.  I made adjustments to the pattern but had not read the instructions properly so my adjustments were not quite right and the cowl was giant and by that, I mean GIANT.  So I ripped it out.

This time, I am using the recommended needles and apparently, a thicker than recommended yarn.  I got a lot further, but the cowl is still quite large.  I took it off the needles and reviewed it with my Comadres earlier this week.  My gauge is 3 stitches per inch instead of 4... so a frogging it will go too.  :-/

Should be ~19 inches around.  The ruler shows it is more than 2 feet.

I also learned that for my entire knitting career (4-5 years) I have been doing my purl stitches incorrectly.  I have always purled through the back loop.  Which is a perfectly legal and proper stitch, but not the correct purl stitch and does not give you stockinette when knitting short rows... assuming your knit stitch is proper and not also through the back loop.


It's a cool fabric... but as you can see there is a difference between the short rows at the bottom and the knit in the round at the top.

I will be reclaiming this yarn and then figuring out how to purl properly.  In the meantime, Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

14 comments:

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

You'll get it all worked out!

AllyB said...

I don't think I even know how to purl through the back loop. Sounds like it would be difficult. Gotta be frustrating for sure. Perhaps when you get the purl stitch mastered your knitting will seem easier. I do like that cowl pattern though. I hope you get your gauge figured out without further troubles. Stay warm and have a Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

Vivian said...

Purling through the backloop is hard! and to do it consistently like you did is, well, I've never seen before. You should keep the cowl so you can show people what it looks like, call it a new stitch pattern. It's a very cool fabric indeed.

Voie de Vie said...

Ok, this pattern is your own personal Waterloo! We all have one. :) If it were me, I probably wouldn't frog. I kinda like how it came out.

Melissa said...

Oh dear....I think I'd have to take a knitting break before ripping everything out.

Kathryn Ray said...

@Voie de Vie - I sure hope this is not my end. :-(

@Vivian - I guess I should beg to differ... ;-) While trying to make a proper purl stitch, I find myself easily going back to my old habit of purling thru the back loop.

@Melissa - it's been resting for several days already.

MarmePurl said...

a bit of a chuckle here...I have been purling upside down forever. I have tried to do it 'right' but at this point it's a comfort thing...so on I go.

Carol said...

I like it! An interesting pattern. I would plan a project using this stitch, like a cowl or mittens. Funny how things turn out. BTW, I enjoyed your post about the arm transplants - I used to work for a hand surgeon and he did some incredible surgery.

Kathryn Ray said...

@MarmePurl - I'm now trying to figure out how purling upside down works. ;-)

@Carol - Thank you and I'm intrigued.

Cathy Johnson said...

Ah we are all creature of habits! I love that stitch of yours purling through the back loop, I really do, kind of like a faux herringbone. Yeah, if you didn't have to rip it out because of the gauge I'd keep that too :)

WonderWhyGal said...

I agree with Vivian, I'd keep it as a sample, you may have a future pattern in your hands.

Jocelyn said...

I was doing my stockinette wrong too, but my stitches came out looking the same, it was my decreases that gave me away. My right leaning decreases leaned left, while my left leaned right! Took a whole wee willy winky hat to get that right. Must me an engineer thing.

AC said...

Engineers don't NEED to read the directions. Until we fail a few times, then give in an read the directions. I like your twisted stitches! I did that on the heels of socks for a long time (slipped stitches the 'wrong' way) and have decided I like the twisted stitches better.

Spinster Beth said...

Isn't it odd how a person can knit for years, and knit lovely things, but do it differently than anyone else? I only just taught myself how to knit with my right hand, and I feel so smart for figuring it out. Good luck with the new project!