Friday, July 3, 2009

Independence Day

As we embark upon the US Independence Day weekend I am reminded, of course, that my country is engaged in multiple wars and that our Independence was gained via a war.

I am also reminded that my country was founded on ideas.
  • The idea that people should be allowed to think what they want.
  • The idea that people should be allowed to pray to whoever, however they want.
  • The idea that a people can be whatever they want. All they need is vision and fortitude.

My friends and acquaintances who grew up in this country always laugh at me when I call it Independence Day. They think it's funny that I don't call it the "4th of July" like everyone else.

My friends and acquaintances who grew up in other countries and are now in the US understand the meaning of Independence Day. Many of them came to the US so they could pursue some of the same ideas that this country was founded on.

As an educated women who is a business owner, able to vote, sign contracts, drive a car, go to school, be whoever I choose and pray however I choose I am proud to be an American.

The 4th of July is a day to remember all we intended to be and to celebrate that we can.

No comments: