Friday, September 1, 2023

Fiber Arts Friday: Dutrieu Hat

In looking for a simple project appropriate for waiting for services, I settled on Dutrieu by Wooly Wormhead.

I previously mentioned that I have wanted to make one of their patterns for quite some time.  I have also wanted to make a Cloche for several years.  Add in plenty of yarn left over from the Minty Mitts, and this seemed like the right one.

In searching the interwebs for how to pronounce Dutrieu, I learned that this is for Hélène Dutrieu, a Belgian Cyclist, Stunt Woman, and Aviator.  Very cool, indeed!

My French is not very good and my Flemish is non-existent, but at least I can hear the pronunciation in my head, even if I can not actually say it correctly.  :-/

This is an interesting construction, as is typically the case with Wooly Wormhead designs.  You can see the crown is starting to be shaped at the top of the piece, and the flap is beginning at the bottom.  There will be a total of 6 panels when complete.

I did take the opportunity to upgrade my tools in this size... I'm surprised by how much I don't like working with my original wood- and bamboo-tipped tools.

And with my new tools, I'm much further than I expected to be at the end of Memorial Day Weekend... currently just beyond 50%.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

No comments: