Friday, August 5, 2022

Fiber Arts Friday: Tour de Fleece 2022, part 2

A few weeks later, and two Tours complete... the hommes and femmes.

I did end up playing with my regular Spinning Chien group, as well as joining the Shuttles, Spindles, and Skeins Team... a former LYS in Boulder, that is still holding virtual meetups.

Week 1 

Friday, July 1

  • Dorset Horn - 15 minutes
  • Tibetan Mastiff, Ramen - 15 minutes

Saturday, July 2

  • Dorset Horn - 15 minutes
  • Tibetan Mastiff, Ramen - 15 minutes

Sunday, July 3

  • Dorset Horn - 45 minutes
  • Tibetan Mastiff, Ramen - 15 minutes

Monday, July 4 - Transfer Day, US Independence Day Holiday

  • With a little extra time for spinning today and yesterday, I was able to finish the single for the Dorset Horn - 1 hour 22 minutes


I wound it into a cake and will be ready to begin plying tomorrow.

  • Tibetan Mastiff, Ramen - 15 minutes

Tuesday, July 5

  • Dorset Horn - ply 15 minutes
  • Tibetan Mastiff, Ramen - 15 minutes

Wednesday, July 6

  • Dorset Horn - ply 15 minutes
  • Tibetan Mastiff, Ramen - 15 minutes

Thursday, July 7

  • Dorset Horn - ply 15 minutes
  • Tibetan Mastiff, Ramen - 15 minutes

Week 2:

Friday, July 8

  • Dorset Horn - ply 15 minutes.  As the cake shrinks, my speed increases.  But I still have a ways to go.
  • Tibetan Mastiff, Ramen - 15 minutes.  I got a new lamp last week and have noticed that the color is more grey when under the light of the new lamp.

Saturday, July 9

  • Dorset Horn - ply 30 minutes
  • Tibetan Mastiff, Ramen - 15 minutes

Sunday, July 10 - Challenge

  • No spinning

Monday, July 11 - Rest

  • Cashmere - drop spindle (park and draft) - 30 minutes

Tuesday, July 12

  • Cashmere - drop spindle (park and draft) - 15 minutes

Wednesday, July 13

  • Cashmere - drop spindle (park and draft) - 15 minutes

Thursday, July 14

  • Cashmere - drop spindle (park and draft) - 15 minutes

Friday, July 15

  • Cashmere - drop spindle (park and draft) - 15 minutes.  After growing a bit too much confidence, I broke the thread.  sigh.  So I spent some time pulling part of the batt into roving.

Week 3

Saturday, July 16

  • Cashmere - drop spindle (park and draft) - 15 minutes.  I broke the thread again.  sigh.

Sunday, July 17

  • Cashmere - drop spindle (park and draft) - 15 minutes.  It's interesting to look at this photo along side the first one in this post.  Every little bit does add up, even when it doesn't feel like progress is being made.  :-)

Monday, July 18 - Rest

Tuesday, July 19 - It was lovely to be back at my wheel today.

  • Dorset Horn - ply 15 minutes
  • Tibetan Mastiff, Ramen - 15 minutes

Wednesday, July 20

Thanks to the replay option on Peacock, this is the first Tour de Fleece where I have been able to watch coverage beyond a 2-hr highlight show of the actual Tour de France.

  • Cashmere - drop spindle (park and draft) - 15 minutes

Thursday, July 21 - Challenge

  • Dorset Horn - ply 15 minutes

Friday, July 22

  • Dorset Horn - ply 30 minutes

Week 4

Saturday, July 23

  • Dorset Horn - ply 28 minutes.  Finished Plying.
  • Tibetan Mastiff, Ramen - 30 minutes

Sunday, July 24

  • Tibetan Mastiff, Ramen - 45 minutes

FIN - Men's Race

Weighing before and after means that I have 30 + 24 + 5 g or 59 g of singles were spun over 3 weeks and 112 g were plied thus far.


Tour de France, Femme Begins

With the Men's race ending today and the first Women's race beginning, I decided to dedicate the next week to plying my Tibetan Mastiff, Ramen.


There are 102 g here, that hopefully will be in a finished 2-ply yarn by the end of the week.

Sunday, July 24

  • Tibetan Mastiff, Ramen -  ply 30 min
  • Cashmere - drop spindle (park and draft) - 15 minutes

Monday, July 25

  • Tibetan Mastiff, Ramen -  ply 30 min

Tuesday, July 26

  • Tibetan Mastiff, Ramen -  ply 70 min.  I think I might finish this tomorrow

Wednesday, July 27

  • Tibetan Mastiff, Ramen -  ply 34 min.  I smashed my hand in a door this morning and injured my primary index finger.  It's the same one I shattered a few years ago, so it's good and painful. At least I can ply with my middle finger and was able to finish making this yarn.  sigh.

Thursday, July 28

  • Cashmere - drop spindle (park and draft) - 15 minutes.  I have a lot more cashmere to go, so I've decided to dedicate the rest of the tour to making some progress here.

Friday, July 29

  • Cashmere - drop spindle (park and draft) - 21 minutes

Week 5

Saturday, July 30

  • Cashmere - drop spindle (park and draft) - 15 minutes

Sunday, July 31

  • Cashmere - drop spindle (park and draft) - 15 minutes

FIN - Women's Race

Before and After Individual Top Photos

Sometimes it's really hard to see progress, so here's a side by side of before and after the Tours.

On my Clemes&Clemes Wheel, I had Tibetan Mastiff - Ramen., 143g (bobbin+yarn) to begin and ended with 173g (bobbin+yarn), for a total of 30g of single spun and 102g/324 yards of yarn plied.

 

On my Louet, I had Dorset Horn for SE2SE, that began with 233g (bobbin+yarn) and finished with 257g (bobbin+yarn).  Meaning that 24g of Dorset Horn Single and 112g plied during the Tour de Fleece, Homme.

 

On my Ledbetter Drop Spindle, I began with Cashmere, 24g (spindle+yarn) , Ended with 32g (spindle+yarn), for a total of 8g spun.



This was not my most productive Tour de Fleece, but this was mostly just about making it happen... and both of my wheels are currently empty, which never happens.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

No comments: