Friday, June 21, 2019

Fiber Arts Friday: Estes Park Wool Market, 2019

I haven't been to the Estes Park Wool Market in a few years (2015, 2016, 2017 or 2018).  But after going to Stitches West earlier this year, I wanted to make sure that both Hubba and I went this year.

It was an easy sell.  He happened to meet Henry Clemes of Clemes & Clemes earlier this year, so Hubba definitely wanted to catch up with his new friend.  :-)

I'm so glad we made it.


First of all, the weather was gorgeous!


Second, the market venue is much improved since the last time I was there.  So much that we didn't make it to any of the barns or other activities.


Since it's been a long time goal of mine to have a booth at this venue, not only did we shop, but we talked about the different booths and what we liked and didn't like about how merchandise was presented.


We got a few new ideas, and I think we are on the same page about what presents well.  Now to source the equipment and get a few more batches to the mill.  :-)


As far as shopping goes.  I like this market because it's more than just yarn.  There is a lot of raw fleece and roving available, along with tools, rugs, and other finished objects.


From Clemes & Clemes, I found a packing brush for my drum carder, a diz (it's amazing how hard these are to find), and a Ledbetter shuttle.  Mr. Ledbetter has retired, so his drop spindles and shuttles are now in very limited supply.  I am happy to say that I had the pleasure of meeting both Mr. and Mrs. Ledbetter several years ago, and now have two of their drop spindles and two of their boat shuttles in my tool stash.

I test drove the Clemes & Clemes Modern Wheel, and will most definitely be adding one to my stable.  It's the smoothest wheel I've ever used.


I added Karakul and CVM roving to my stash.  The CVM is an addition to my Shave 'EM to Save 'EM project.  I already had Karakul in my stash (I forgot), but I have not spun it yet and the hair sheep is so very different from the wool sheep handle.... I am quite taken with it... it will not go to waste.  :-)

Then at the very end is a small sample of both Mulberry and Tussah Silk... I've wanted to spin these adjacent to each other.  I have spun Tussah before.

Then a very small sample of Pearl Fiber.  I have not seen this before, so to my stash of unusual fibers this goes.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

2 comments:

Ruth said...

I LIKE that one where there's knitted samples of each yarn above the skeins! I struggle to picture how the multi colored yarns will knit up, always have. I really like the visual.

Kathryn Ray said...

Agree! This was the first time I've seen this type of display. We both liked it a lot.