Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Reading, part 3

For my third installment of travel-for-work reading, I've turned my focus from Change Management and Motivation to Agriculture and Dogs.

The New Farm was one of the books I found at an independent, well-curated bookstore while my Bullying book was missing.

It was really nice to have a book that left me wanting more after three that I didn't care for.  So much, that I finished reading it at home.... I could't wait for the next time I was in an airport or on a plane.  :-)

The author is a good story teller... of course it helps that the topic is near to my heart.  I enjoyed his humor, humility, and candor.  The ability for honest self-reflection is important in all we do.  It was refreshing to see it happening in print.

Showing Kunga: From Pet Owner to Dog Show Junkie was written by a friend of mine, and I'm embarrassed to say I had not read it before now.  Alxe Noden is a great story teller and is very good at sharing the humor in embarrassing and frustrating situations.

I especially love the story about a spectator coming back on day 2 of a weekend show with the sole purpose of finding her dog, Kunga, and introducing him to his girlfriend.  This man just loved Kunga... and in an instant Alxe reminds us of what's important.  We all go home with the perfect dog.  :-)

Carrots Love Tomatoes

This is mostly a reference for companion gardening.  There is useful information for solving common gardening challenges.

Holy Shit

Can you believe it?  A whole book about poo!

The author is a farmer and journalist.  Each chapter is best considered as a stand-alone piece.  It's witty and frank.  I enjoyed it quite a lot.


Books written by professional writers are always more interesting to read.  Professional/trained/experienced writers know how to tell a story.  They know how to capture the reader's interest and how to keep the reader wanting more.

The New Farm, Showing Kunga, and Holy Shit are all written by professional/trained/experienced writers... definitely a treat for this installment of travel-for-work-reading.

No comments: