Friday, November 15, 2013

Fiber Arts Friday: Fingerless Mitts

I'm having a bit of startitis these days, and with it getting cooler, I am reminded that I really want a pair of fingerless mitts.

Susie's Reading Mitts have been in my queue for a looong time.  So long in fact, there appears to be a new version of the pattern.


I had decided that I wanted to pair that pattern with this lovely, fine gauge suri alpaca that Hubba brought home from Japan a few years ago.

So while Susie's Reading Mitts calls for a thicker gauged yarn, I was feeling confident about my gauge-adjusting skills.  I just had to figure out the right sized needle for getting the fabric I was after.

I decided to check the label for recommended needle sizes and was quickly reminded that I do not read Japanese.  :-/


One of my Comadres found a US-to-Japanese Needle Size Translation Chart... and after a bit of swatching I settled on US0.

So now that I'm into the pattern, I'm having mixed feelings.  I love the fine, soft yarn.... with it being an alpaca blend, the mitts should be plenty warm, but the eyelet lace is nearly impossible to see and what will become a Picot edge is just not looking so hot.


This has me thinking that a different pattern might be a better choice for this yarn, but I have decided to finish at least one mitt before I make a final decision.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

10 comments:

Voie de Vie said...

Oh the fun of trial and error. I am not a big fan of fingerless mitts for myself, but that yarn sure does look soft and warm.

Kathryn Ray said...

I agree, fingerless mitts seem a little silly. But the first few cold days of software testing have me thinking differently every winter. So hopefully, I'll be prepared this time. ;-)

Unknown said...

They do seem silly, but are great for times you need fingertips for something and don't want to take mittens off and on. Gorgeous yarn.

Ginx Craft said...

I love fingerless mitts, but I guess it depends where you live. For an hour every day I am out in a school playground, but still need to tie up laces, help with coat buttons, stick on plasters. Normal mittens would just not work. Your wool looks gorgeously soft.

Kathryn Ray said...

That's a very good point @GinxCraft... and now that I live in a colder climate, I have at least one situation where the fingerless mitts seem to provide a good solution. ;-)

WonderWhyGal said...

These will feel delicious to wear. I still am shaking about gauge. I'm counting myself lucky that I even swatch ;-)

Carmen N said...

I think it looks great so far - it might be best to make one to see how it works when it's finished

Cathy Johnson said...

That yarn is so yummy, you might like it once it's taken shape ;)

Alittlebitsheepish said...

They look like they will be super cosy and warm

Gracey is not my name.... said...

The pattern is great and the yarn sounds yummy, but I understand the hesitation...